Thursday, July 10, 2003

Tosa Bushi!

On the Harima Bridge of Kochi
In the province of Tosa
I saw a shaved-head priest
Buy a hair pin from a vendor.

'Tis no surprise that a shaved-head priest
Should purchase a hair pin,
For I saw a crawling cripple
Buy a pair of wooden clogs.

A cripple crawling on all fours
Might buy a pair of wooden clogs,
For I saw the other day the blind
Purchase a paper lantern

Come, come, come at even,
You always say so,
But when I come, I find
There's no truth in your koi.

A thrift so trifling
To you I should say-
Only a whale swimming
And spouting in my pond-like sea!

Tosa no Kouchi no Harimaya Bashi de Bonsan Kan zashi Kau o mita Yosa koi, Yosa koi
Bonsaan Kaan zashi Kaisona monoyo- Izari ga Komageta Kau o mita Yosa koi, Yosa koi

"come" and "love" are pronounced "koi" in Japanese.

No comments: