Monday, July 21, 2003

Downtown

You know, Houston is really a kickass city if you've got air conditioning and someone to go see it with. Today, Larkin and I had a big adventure in downtown Houston, risking life and limb on the highways to see the spectacles of the city. And boy, was it fun.

So, while killing time waiting for an exhibition to open, we walked over to the Contemporary Museum of Art and looked at this astronomer's poetic, spherical astronomy journal- it consisted of four or five paper spheres, with sketched skies and scribbled notes enscribed on the surface with pen. To a nearsighted, person, it looks like the worst exhibition in the world from far away, but it was really neat once we got up close.

Three o'clock came around eventually, which meant it was time to head over to the Museum of Natural Science to tour their butterfly dome. Were I forced to choose, I'd call the butterfly exhibition my favorite event. The colors those little guys come in! It's amazing! Exotic, opalescent blue-winged insects landed on my forehead and Larkin's bag until we left to go look at the dead bugs. What a collection of specimens they have there!

And speaking of opalescent specimens, we then went to the rocks and minerals hall to look at shiny crystals of all sorts. I love rocks. I really do. They're so... shiny, and transparent, and geometric... What fun!

Five o'clock, and it was time for the IMAX movie. It was supposed to be something about the tyrannosaurus rex and palentology, but it turned out to be the crappiest (and noisiest) Disney-like soap opera ever. You do not use a screen the size of a football field to tell about a teenage girl's neglectful parents. It's against the fucking rules. The girl opened the locket with the picture of her mother and father, and then that was it. We gave it a chance, we watched some cool sweeps across some Canadian desert, but we want a mother fucking documentary, not a Greek tragedy!

So we left, walked around, browsed a sculpture garden, and went out to Boba Yega's for dinner. I've really got to say that I'm the luckiest person I've ever heard of. I looked over at Larkin as the waiter minion brought me my yellow fin tuna steak, and realized that no one else my age would ever even think about doing this shit with me. Who the hell else would take me to the Houston museums and then out to dinner at some little humble yet wonderful restaurant on Montrose? I'm so lucky to have a girlfriend with some culture. The fact that she's stunningly sexy in a revealing outfit and possesses a nice head of blue hair is just a bonus.

Back at Larkin's, we put the takeout box I had in her fridge, sat around for a minute with a cup of tea, and escaped her father in favor of a walk in the park. So after that, she came over here, I beat her at LETRES and massaged her shoulders (exhausted from freeway driving), and sent her home.

So ends another one of the best days of my life. GLEE

No comments: