Thursday, July 24, 2003

Gone!

She's gone. My little Larkin is growing up, becoming the academic queen of the universe. Off to Austin for more college seminars and whatnot, I shan't see her for perhaps six days.

Tears soaked her plaid dress and my corduroy pants. Is it so wrong to cry for someone you feel such emotion for? She'll be gone for a week. To the average person, it might even seem pathetic or silly. But I'm used to seeing Larkin every damn day. With nothing but AIM and tired SOAD mp3s beside me, I get really depressed when she's not around. It makes me so incredibly appreciative of what we have, and why it's such a rare thing, especially when it's mutual between two people. It's not pathetic. I'm in love, and I don't want none of this MSN dating advice's "Healthy Time Apart" bullshit! I never get tired of Larkin! "Distance makes the heart grow fonder" only applies to people who aren't completely satisfied with their relationships, and want to put some distance between themselves and lovers! I mean, sure, I'm going to knock her down with a hug when she gets back, but that doesn't make me more fond of her, it just makes me deprived!

But I did cry. It seems she's the only person I ever find such a surge of emotion to cry for. A hundred people are killed by a suicide bomber in Iraq, conjoined twins bleed to death during a operation, shit, thousands die and the WTC collapses, and I turn off the TV and go play Tribes. But my girlfriend leaves for a week, and I'm traumatized beyond any level imaginable. I cried for her leaving, for the future, for parental issues, for fucking anything. I almost enjoy crying, because I feel so much better afterwards. I cried for joy for everything I've got. I'm really getting nowhere with this post. I will say, in short, that I am practically unable to convey to anyone in written form what a fondness I possess for that blue-haired scholar.

So after breakfast this morning, Larkin and I returned to our homes to commit ourselves to household duties for awhile, and at 3 PM, went to go pick Jeremy up from work. Or, rather, follow him home on his bicycle. A fun time was had by all at the Howard household- Jeremy and I had two sparring matches with some bamboo bokkens. No fucking hand strikes anymore! I won a match, and so did he. My kendo rival!

Starbucks for coffee, then Army Surplus for dirty looks from war supporters, then Larkin's house to sit around and pet the cat, then Sweet Tomatoes for a salad, then Jeremy's again to watch Larkin rave and practice my snap kick. And actually, kicking helped me out a bit, as I'd been feeling a little sick to my stomach, but martial arts got my hydrochloric acid flowing again. Then back to my place to lie in each other's arms and whisper our goodbyes. A great day- a shame it will be my last to be chaffeured around in Larkin's van for awhile.

No comments: