Monday, October 14, 2002

Well I'll be damned. Not a bad Monday at all, once I got past my staggered start towards it. My alarm clock was, by all definitions, not the entity that woke me up this morning, though I was grateful that something woke me up at all. After my mother's wakeup call, I rushed to try and wash my hair, get a little composure and eat, but barely missed the bus. What a shameful, impunctual person I am.

In spite of my duel with time this morning, today wasn't too bad. In electronics, we finally learned Ohm's Law, which many people didn't understand. I just don't see how people can't comprehend the fact that E stands for voltage.

In programming, I got to present my wonderful little program (modeled, of course, after the book's assignment) to the class. It was really quite simple; more so than others' assignments, only a program that would calculate the average of any three numbers, but still, it looked very professional. Microsoft standard format, you know? I'm turning into Satan. Surprisingly, after watching the rest of the class presentations, I noticed that the only really stupid people are the sophomore and junior who sit near me. Everyone else had the whole works. Pseudocode, the correct user interface format, the right equations, everything. I still wish I had taken computer science. Visual Basic is such a damned easy language.

There was a bit of ineptitude in English, however. I won't go into any detail, but shouldn't we all know what a synonym and an antonym are by now?

Chemistry is always a nice class, especially when it takes awhile for Mr.McCormick to get to class from his usual cigar-smoking habits in Meyer Park. It's nice to know you actually do have friends that you can talk to while standing outside the door, despite what some people may believe. There was a quiz today on the five different naming systems for various compounds. I'll be lucky if I got higher than a 30.

Choir was fun today. Now that the school district realizes we are not just an organization that sits in a circle every day to sing Kumbaya, we no longer have to perform in the shoddy Klein High auditorium, but get to sing in the Centrum, which is a church just down the road. Such better acoustics and everything. Today we had the privilege of driving out there for a sound test. It was really nice to get out of the school for awhile, and I ended up riding with Julia and some guy named Adam, which was much better than being forced to sit in a car with Palisin, or Alex Pankonien. Julia is cool. She's all Japanese, and stuff, and she's got a VW Bug. It's really pretty difficult to be cooler than that.

Hey, I sit next to Claire Dunnagan in geometry now. That makes two; no, three classes I actually talk in! I'm overjoyed.

My prediction was correct, for once. A good day. Goodnight. Goodnight to my unseen audience in the world - you live in Austrailia for all I know. Or do I really have an audience? Am I sitting here, typing away at my little coffee-stained keyboard, with the Dr.Pepper cans piling up at my desk, virtually talking to myself? Dumping my thoughts into a jar, an archive of my mind to return to and reflect on? Relieving a long day's stress and insecurity? Writing? Composing? Sketching? Thinking? Discussing theology, philosophy, the meaning of life, education, irony, satire, love, justice, happiness, perhaps within the confines, or privacy and infinite paradoxial complexion of my own mind. Occasionally I mesmerize myself with my writing, attempting to create a masterpiece, then other times, I relieve my anger or teenage angst as one might say. The mood and purpose, not the talent, skill, experience, nor even vocabulary defines the writer. I am not a poet, nor a composer, not even a mere writer. I prefer to think of myself as a young thinker.

No comments: