Tuesday, September 10, 2002

Well, that was a pretty decent day. As I said, I always like Tuesday more than Monday, and today was no exception. No movie in electronics today, amazingly enough, we really did some book work. Of course, the people sleeping in class and eating animal crackers weren't fooling anyone as usual, so not much work got done. Programming was the most boring thing ever today, the seniors had some assembly to attend in the auditorium, so the remaining 3 or 4 sophomores just sat around, the others talked about how fast their cars are while I listlessly busied myself with trying to get a higher words per minute rating on some crappy typing game. English test today, was really quite easy, and I'll be surprised if I get anything less than a 95 on it, but I always have the ability to unpleasantly surprise myself. Chemistry was a nice change from my solitary first half of the day, and it was even pretty easy too. The half-life of a radioactive isotope has to be the easiest thing I've ever found out, my only problem is that the teacher tries to make it complicated with an algebraic equation, whereas I just divide things in half. Every man to his own.

Choir wasn't bad today, the director lost his glasses and looked like he had a little too much blood in his caffeine system though. Days like that are nice, because he won't talk to us for hours upon hours about upcoming events; I'd rather him talk about singing technique, which is one of the primary reasons the Klein choir is among the best. I'm still having strange doubts about this girl who sits next to me in choir though, whenever I pass her music, ask her to lend me a pencil, things like that, she always replys by lazily staring off into space, and eventually coming back to reality. Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between ADD medication and large animal tranquilizers?

Geometry... Geometry easily had questionable straightness today, it was one of those test days where instead of having our nice little social groups of desks, we file into the ominous, clean, perfect rows of students, like slaves in a salt mine. Of course, this is the way almost all classrooms work, but on test days especially, there's an eerie silence over everyone. That included me, I didn't study at all, but I'm confident that I passed.

Ah, and that brings me to progress reports.
On progress report day, like the rows of desks in my geometry period, or like the people fearing teachers spotting their drug hangovers, people are dismal. Not the smart, responsible people you see chatting with their friends as they take notes like good students. No, you know who I'm talking about. The people with their hands covering their faces, fearing the unholy wrath of their parents as they mutter something like, 'my GPA is still 2.5', or 'school sucks anyway'. I know, secretly, that I will be paying for these peoples' prison cells with my tax dollars, I am certain of it. Even if these juniors and seniors, who are so infinitely screwed up in their own stupidity turn a new leaf now, they may only realize their mistakes fully when they end up at a white-collar job gotten only because of some bachelor's degree from a cheap community college. Sitting there, droning in their cubicles, or aforementioned prison cells, they will someday understand why John didn't smoke pot and get laid at 15, why their parents cried over their atrocious grades, but what they won't understand is simple. Why they didn't try. Why they didn't try to do the right things to enjoy life at its best, why they weren't responsible, and why they never had a thought of shame or a shred of dignity. Some people are brought up this way, in bad neighborhoods, with abusive parents, it's true, and a very real issue. I may not have much say in this because I consider myself lucky, to be brought up in a middle class home, with kind parents who give me all I need. But anyone can try.

/ethics off. I'm done for today.

No comments: