Thursday, September 12, 2002

Sigh, a substitute teacher in electronics today, so we actually had to get some work done for once. What a surprise that it took everyone the entire period to finish 23 multiple-choice review questions. Slackers. Programming was, again, boring as hell, but at least we had some work to do today. I'd rather work on easy tasks on a computer than sit in front of a 'Go Bearkats!!!' screensaver. Some of the people make the screensavers pretty stupid too, always leaving some really terrible quote, like from the Harry Potter movie, or something from the Fellowship of the Ring that is completely meaningless, like 'You have my bow.' Well, no shit sherlock, Frodo's obviously going to have Legolas in his motley crew of Companions, it's not like we all need a definition. Ugh.

In English, we listened to this horribly pointless story called The Pedestrian, which sole purpose was to educate us on what the theme of a story is. I think the teacher could've picked a better writing than that. I like reading books, but I hate stories that drone on and on about some pointless facts. Too much description is often insignificant when talking about a small topic, and we certainly do not need 50 adjectives per uplifting sentence.

Ah, a lab in chemistry today. You know, I always liked labs in 8th grade, the kind where the teacher passes out a sheet of data for you to fill in, but in high school, everything must be written out by the student. Of course, this is the way real science works, but it's still more difficult than educational, if you ask me. I also don't like labs that involve more mathematics than physical labor, but then again, what is science, if not mathematics?

In choir, we kept mind-numbingly rehearsing The Star-Spangled Banner, as if we didn't know it well enough. We practiced it in the choir building. We practiced it in the courtyard, the site of our little pep rally tomorrow. We practiced it in the big ensemble room in the band hall after that, because people were complaining about the heat in the choir building. Frankly, I don't notice the heat, after spending most of your life in Texas, and hanging out in a room that has overheating computers all the time, you really learn to like the heat, and love the darkness. When I go outside, it's not the heat that bugs me, or even the humidity that much, but it's that damnable sunlight! It's probably just because I was somewhat of a nocturnal creature during the summer, but I still don't like it. It's nice to walk around outside, but it's not nice to be blinded.

Goodnight.


No comments: