Sunday, October 16, 2005

those caramelized apples are off the chart


Work was an absolute clusterfuck tonight. O&T was completely sold out on reservations and it was me working with grill dude and the new guy. Manager closed the kitchen at eight after swearing a lot at grill dude for undercooking a bunch of meat (i.e. YOU CAN'T MOTHERFUCKING COOK ANYTHING). As I did my job quite well, I was not the victim of any of this, and as an added bonus I got off pretty damn early due to the closing.

Doing some more creative things at work though. Instead of the everpresent "blackened chicken salad" or "barbecued chicken sandwich" or "chickened chicken-fried chicken" we've actually been cooking some specials with variety. I flipped some roasted peppers, onions, montreal seasoning and some beef around awhile ago for a bangin fajita special that got some damn good feedback. Today the new guy saw the maddening load of granny smith apples in the beer cooler and made a grilled chicken salad with caramelized apples, candied pecans, goat cheese, and a dressing he made from deglazing the apple pans. Manager says he'll run my strawberry/lime glazed garlic-roasted salmon fillet special if I make the glaze for him to taste. The idea behind that is to use the extra juice from our buckets of strawberries which would otherwise go down the drain (causing about a 50% yield, I might add).

~she is fucking good at baking

No comments: