Tuesday, October 11, 2005

a pursuit of intellectual proportions

Olive or Twist's kitchen has made a mess of my Vans, though despite the wear and tear, you can still see my checkerboard shoelaces.

I swear I'm the only person in this place that loves test days. The tests are just so Goddamn easy--we spent two days of review in wines as if to scare us to death about having to memorize German vininfication styles like Trochenbeerenauschlese (not that it really bothers me, t he two years of German turned out to be a pretty damn good idea). I got out so early today I've got an hour and a half to chill before work, which I get out of early tonight. Last night I was out before 9:20 because it was so damn dead--we've got a different manager on Mondays than usual and she actually has the sense to close the kitchen if we get paid to do nothing and eat/sometimes drink extra stuff forever (I try to leave names out when I talk about work, but I find it too amusing not to mention this--I'll pick up a glass on the salad line, thinking it's mine and full of Dr.Pepper and orange soda, and take a big swig of Yuengling quite often).

current events:
I made a strawberry/lime/butter reduction the other day as a sauce for a roasted salmon fillet rubbed with olive oil and paper-thin garlic shavings.

I am eating mixed nuts.

I would love to go to Erie in the winter and learn to snowboard, but it most likely won't happen considering my current schedule.

I have a gray scarf that I get to wear now because it is cold here. From the waist up I look like the drummer in an emo band, and from the waist down I look like.. I don't know. Wear extremely baggy checkerboard pants for awhile and tell me what you look like.

I was going to see Carmen, the ballet, but to save money the PBT used prerecorded music instead of live musicians. 150 people protested down the street. I'll just wait for Ariadne auf Naxos on the 30th. I never got to see Rigoletto due to work, but I've seen it already, so it's okay.

A week ago O&T ran completely out of flour. I had to run to my dorm room, get my bag of Pillsbury Best and bail us out because we had nothing to bread calamari with. The day before, we had run out of tempura batter (nothing more than eggs, flour and water). We made more with cornstarch. Absolutely disgusting.

In the past three hours I have consumed one and a half pots of coffee and I feel great. I am the Brent Sienna of PCI.

No comments: