Saturday, October 22, 2005

i am a liberal democrat atheist who supports abortion rights, embryonic stem-cell research, sex/drug/alcohol-education, evolutionary theory, & cooking


Definitely a great week. Lots of great production in class, challenging (yet not overwhelming) work schedule, payday today. Makin the bucks.

Speaking of work, grill dude was fired and now I am grill dude. Or, really, I'm still just one of the cooks but I'll be working the grill a lot more now, which makes things a lot more interesting, since I'm dealing with the really important part of entrees. I have to be sure to not give people e.coli, but be careful not to turn their burgers and steaks and fish fillets into little charcoal briquets too. The responsibility is a little more unnerving, but if you keep calm and multitask like crazy, you can't go wrong. Today I had a ticket for three filet mignon: one medium rare, one medium, and one well done. I wasn't going to complain because the temps were on wild ends of the spectrum (old grill dude did that and is now having some problems with his work study program)--I just designated which pieces of meat I wanted for each level of doneness, and threw them on hotter or colder areas of the grill accordingly. Once they were attractively marked up, I memorized which was which and threw them in the oven to finish while I made the plate setups. I took out each filet at a different time, then once they were all baked, melted gorgonzola over all three at once in the salamander, then threw them on my mise-en-placed plates.

Not only did everything look amazing today (golden brown salmon fillet with textbook grill marks underneath the raspberry sauce laced with balsamic vinegar and almonds), it was done exactly the way the customers wanted it, and all on time (past fifteen minutes on a ticket and you're late). Nothing was sent back and nobody got yelled at for stupid bullshit. Piece of cake--it's all about method and execution, and a little bit of enjoyment.

No comments: