Friday, March 21, 2003

Another third period update. I think this may become a habit. It's actually a little cooler in here today, probably due to some of the computers being off. There's even less work being done than usual... Most of my fellow classmates are just eating lunch and playing games. I love it how the teacher gives us one assignment and waits five days for us to finish it. Visual BASIC is the simplest programming language ever. Being switched to third period programming instead of second has been pretty nice as well. The class is more sparsely populated with complete idiots; there are some juniors and seniors that I don't mind. And, unlike in chemistry, when I wear black, they don't get the impression that I'm some teenage assassin.

The concert last night was something to be proud of. The spiritual and the Mozart (two movements from the Vesperae Solennes de Confessore) turned out to be our best pieces. The physical energy it takes to sing those songs is amazing. Most people think singing is something easily done, just a trick of the voice, some continual stream of unconscious speaking. Bullshit. Anyone can sing. It doesn't require an extraordinary voice, or any supernatural talent or "God's gift". It does, however, require dedication. If half the people in Klein Chorale went in to that choir building every day and sang little songs without concentrating or paying much attention, we would sound very second-rate. To be a great singer, you have to learn technique, you have to concentrate on every single note. Think ahead and know exactly what to do every step of the way. You have to put an unbridled passion into what you do, understand the meaning of the lyric you sing in order to imbue it with real emotion. It doesn't have to be a spiritual experience, but there is no better word to use than "spirit" when describing the requirements for performing choral music.

Last night, I was just in a good mood. Not only was the concert great, but Larkin came and saw it. I'm so happy to expose someone to how cool listening to a choir can be. I try to get friends to attend the concerts and appreciate the effect that music can put on people, but most of them just end up making fun of "choir boy" and not showing up. She's so kind to me. Even gave me a flower! And then a ride home! Today after school we're going to hang out, ride bikes around the neighborhood and such. I can't wait to see her again. She holds the power to make me content. And content I am.

PE is a little nicer now. We're running from the gym, to the track, around and back to the gym again every day instead of a couple shitty laps around the gym. I'm surprised at how much better at running I am compared to last year. I get so much exercise from riding my bike, my legs are a lot stronger, and the cardiovascular exercise it gives me gives me a lot more stamina. Being healthy is actually pretty satisfying...

Bell's about to ring.

No comments: