Thursday, June 09, 2005

i'm listening to mozart's requiem over and over and over

Two writing ideas I've had this summer:

1. Write a Shakespearian play in a Pokemon setting depicting Ash Ketchum as a tragic hero.

2. Write a sci-fi novel titled "A Dog Eat Dog World" as a treatise on society's perspectives, scientifically as opposed to theologically, on the fuzzy line between animals and humans. It would depict a planet containing only one species of living organism--an intelligent, civilized race which nevertheless practices the kinds of things on each other that we practice on animals: farming, slaughtering and the like. Imagine cattle being the same as us but fulfilling the same roles as cattle. I don't know. I thought of it at 3 A.M. when hanging out with Kara and wrote it down. I think it would be an interesting social experiment novel.

Yeah, that's the best I can come up with. I might want to wait until I actually have some interesting things to talk about.

I woke up early this morning and went out with my mom for some garage sales and estate sales. It's fascinating to see all the things you can learn about people just from looking at the junk they're trying to get rid of. I went to someone's art studio that was like a hobby lobby in an apartment. Fake flowers, potpourri ingredients, fabric, tools, anything you'd need to have an impressive booth at an arts and crafts convention was stacked up in neat piles. I almost bought a cute set of dishes from that place with little mocha-colored rings around the plates and mugs and saucers and stuff, but there were some pieces missing and I don't really want to get anything hard to transport like that until after I figure out what my roommates are bringing. I did get a melita coffee pot from another sale. Speaking of which, I should get my housing packet soon and learn who the hell they are...

I'll be leaving for school on the 3rd of July. I finally figured that out, and actually bought a plane ticket so I'm really squared away this time--it won't be changing again. The housing rep said I can actually check in on Sunday, so that leaves me the day that I get there, a Monday to look around, some orientation deal on Tuesday and then classes Wednesday. I'm dying to get started. Three weeks and three days seems like a lifetime to wait to see my new home.

I'll be in NY on the 16th and 17th, I think. I'm probably going to go down to the agency tomorrow and get more information about that.

No comments: