Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Hey, it's the first article I submitted to The College Press. Maybe they'll post it or something. Might be neat.

With the challenge of the dreaded SAT vanquished, most high school students don’t think too far ahead afterwards. Having completed yet another standardized test to determine our ranks within society, we return to our apathetic and indifferent lifestyles. Awaken from a troubled slumber, wash away the morning’s teenage insomnia with a healthy amount of caffeine, and board the ancient yellow barge to a mediocre day of ignoring impending deadlines in favor of consorting with our comrades. After all, what do we fickle youngsters know of stress, much less the planning of our futures?

For some, it’s more than one might think. In my sophomore year, always groggily overhearing talk about college, careers, and success, my mind finally strayed away from the blissful insouciance of childhood to ponder the unknown ahead. Knowing nothing about obtaining a higher education save the fact that I will eventually obtain one, I did what any confused teenager would do- I browsed the internet.

Looking at schools all across the country, I eventually found a website that featured an extensive catalogue of courses. Scanning the different departments that appealed to me: English philosophy music. Then, computer science. Multimedia design, animation, and foreign languages. The list seemed to go on forever, and I was absolutely overwhelmed at the sheer amount of things to learn about.

And if that weren’t enough to put my poor brain in a state of shock, I then started thinking about careers. Just what do I want to do with my life? I always just thought I’d end up a software designer, since I’m good with computers- construction, maintenance and upgrading. But when I consider it deeply, I picture myself ten years from now, wasting away in front of a coffee-stained keyboard. Spending the best years of my life living in a cubicle, trying to meet impossible deadlines for the creation of little accounting programs! Do I want to end up a miserable, white-collar slave to the system? Does anyone?

Distressed, I thought of all the other career options I have. I consulted friends about being a writer or a musician, and what college to attend, only to be told by most that I should act my age. Upon survey, I found others like I had been, somehow sure of their futures. “I see myself going to an ok college, getting into a job afterwards for a company that nobody's ever heard of, but I'll get an average salary,” said junior Julia Matsuno. “I see myself getting a job, going to college, possibly becoming an engineer or psychologist,” declared sophomore Rob Vavra. Everyone seemed to know where they were going.

But I’m not the only one that feels this way. Contrary to popular belief, a score of genuine scholars still exists among the nation’s youth. Or, at the very least, there are people that are still immersed in thought over the subject. “I haven’t even decided what I want to do,” said sophomore Mary Underwood. “I think of several things I love and I don’t know which one is better.” It’s a tough decision to be made by students, and while sophomores may not need to worry just yet, the matter of finding a college and the funding to attend it begins to press down on juniors during the end of the year. In either case, we must all say a fond farewell to our carefree childhoods.

No comments: