Friday, February 24, 2006

You know, I almost always read non-fiction. Food or travel books usually catch my fancy. I think I'm impressed more by crazy real-life adventures than crazy shit that someone made up.

I do like reading philosophy too, and theology, when the mood strikes me. I think I did so a lot more back in high school, because I had the free time to speculate. These days, even when I do have free time to read, I can't find myself learning more about Christianity or Islam, or modern mysticism, ethics, politics, etc. I just couldn't find a book today, modern or 2000 years old, that I felt like I could sit down and be enlightened by, because the truth is that I just don't freakin' agree with any of them. It's not that I don't get the points, or that I don't want a challenge to my own viewpoint. I'm just so rigidly sure that religion is not only false, but that it does more harm than good (it's still not a secular war over there, guys! wake up and smell the qahwa!), and that the idea that one can't live a fulfilling life without god is just silly, that I don't really care to study bullshit scripture anymore. Maybe I've lost interest, maybe I'm just not as much of an aspiring intellectual as I used to be, or maybe I don't need to argue this shit with people because I'm not insecure in my own beliefs.

No comments: