Tuesday, January 03, 2006

pie jesu domine / dona eis requiem / thump

Well, the year is over. With the new year, I'll be truly settled into my new life--as both a professional cook and an independent person. Of course, I've already accomplished both of those things, at least to start with--they were my resolutions for 2005. I have only one this year: carpe diem.

My stay in Texas is also over. Tomorrow I make the trip back to Pittsburgh. Oddly, I don't think of Spring as my "home" anymore; it's really just a place I'm visiting. I never was really crazy about this town. It's got a few charms like Pepper Chino, Mr.Raddin's choir, and the ability to see stars at night. But truth be told, the view from Mount Washington is far more spectacular. Living in the Golden Triangle these past few months has changed my life, and I'm beginning to think that remaining in the Burgh for an externship wouldn't be too bad if I couldn't continue my urbanite existence in some other New England metropolis. I am sad to say that my general experience with the South has left me a little bitter towards hot weather and Republicans, and that I have fallen in love with the biting cold and the skyscrapers of the City of Steel.

That said, my recipes will be soaked in tears as I think of my friends and family during the flight. I am really, really, really, really going to miss some people here. I will see you all again this year if it means walking South from Liberty Avenue. Happy New Year.

No comments: