Sunday, January 08, 2006

let it, let it


Pittsburgh is cute. I've never been a big fan of sports in general, and it can be said that I don't like football particularly. But every time I walk past a nightclub and instead of some trashy Gwen Stefani song I hear "Here we go Steelers, here we go! Pittsburgh's goin' to the Superbowl!" it really makes me smile. Maybe because it's a sign of this city's surviving never give up attitude, or maybe just because I've always wanted to have a little spirit for the place I live. I don't know. I hope they win tomorrow.

Deep-cleaned the grill tonight, and the netherparts of the fryers. I felt like neither of those things had ever been done before--I had to use a spatula to do most of the cleaning, cutting off half-inch thick strips of leatherlike, years-old grease. It was uncharacteristically slow tonight, which is what prompted me to do all the extra work--we had so few orders come in from 7 to 11 that I was able to keep the grill completely disassembled the entire time. It was really good to get that work done, but I was sad to not be busy with orders. I had a great special. Blackened twin strip steaks with a lime chili sauce (and choice of two sides! gasp!). I seriously should've bought one and taken it home for myself, because the sauce my buddy made was super good.

I could really go for a big bowl of either risotto alla parmigiana or clam chowder. Clam chowder may be my most favorite food in the world but it is not something you can eat from a can if you want a cheap subsitute. There's always sand in it. Every Goddamn time.

~no, I get by with a little help from my friends

No comments: