Sunday, May 29, 2005

bout damn time

I came up with something kind of good on some livejournal comment--Kara had written a long essay on human struggle among other things:

Despite the common teaching of history, it's true that humanity simply exists as a vain cycle of conflict and peace. The only thing you can truly call "progress" is the fact that each time we go through another cycle, we fall harder. From the Crusades to the Civil War to Hiroshima and the Holocaust, and who the hell knows what will happen next. The only thing that changes about we humans is the size and quantity of our weapons--the fact that the U.S. has a nuclear arsenal that could obliterate the polar ice caps is never questioned even through our hypocritical crusade against nuclear proliferation. The problem with science is that it holds the keys to the universe as well as the path to our destruction.

I think that through it all we are moving towards an end to the petty doom we're destined for, but I also believe that we'll be gone before we ever get close to the solution. It kind of sucks.

On a lighter note, I graduated from high school the other day. The ceremony was well-organized but a little silly as I expected. I'm just not much for tradition, but it's nice to finally hold my certificate for four years of diluted existence. Now I can finally get cookin'. I'm most likely out of here July 5th. I may have a party toward the end of June.

No comments: