Monday, May 16, 2005

man, not too bad

Prom was about as good as I expected it to be, which was pretty good but not the most utterly magical and emotional experience of my life. I will say, also, before I write about it in detail, that I won a hundred bucks at the end of it, thus covering more than the whole of my gross expenditures.

After hearing of the lamentations of all, I am truly glad my prom group was not one of legendary extravagance. I just don't have the kind of cash flow to be blowing weeks of drudgery in the sun on formal attire and crowded limousines (I'd like to eat on weekends when I'm in college), and I am truly happy that I was not forced to suffer a veritable militia of parents with cameras. Todd's mom took a few pictures, my mom took a few, and Julia's dad got us on the way to the car. I won't hide the fact that I regret a bit not going all out in order to have a(n) (official) date whom I ended up having a really nice time with at the dance--Allison (thanks for the dance, and I hope I provided at least some relief from all the stress)--and moreover that I sort of just rejected her on the grounds of my large-party-paranoia--but overall, I am terribly thankful to my two friends and their casual attitudes towards the evening. No, I mean it. Thank you, Julia and Todd.

Much of prom is spent socializing contentedly, taking pictures for/with people and lounging about in order to look suave with your peers (at least this was my experience, not being one of the hip hop groove fiends the hilariously caucasian student body at Klein is made up of). I did win a few dances, however, despite my mortally crippled rhythmic ability. Chocolate-covered strawberries, too. I found the event most agreeable, especially since nobody seemed to notice how I truly winged it by wearing my choir uniform. Everyone looked so beautiful, though. I would also have to say, of course, that my last-last-minute date was paralyzingly gorgeous.

I changed into some gothtastic pants and my skinny puppy shirt on the way to Julia's house/APE and proceeded to play blackjack and mumble with my equally delirious peers until 6:30 in the morning. That part was nice, because I was not wearing tight wool pants. Also, as mentioned before, I managed to win a hundred bucks in the raffle at the end of the night (the first of maybe 150 winners of them, the APE committee had a freakin lot of money this year). Another dance is this Friday and it'll be toned down some, of course. I have to think of something to say for my little senior farewell speech to choir.

I skipped today anyway. Screw finals. I honestly don't mind and know with all certainty that I can pass, which is really all I need. I've got money, college acceptance, a meal plan--a new damn towel that I can take with me. I just need that diploma to get out of here. The day at Kathy's was worth it anyway. I've never seen The Shining and thanks to Julia I've not been so relaxed since I started working for money.

No comments: