Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Pre-Washington concert tonight wasn't too bad. I could've done with a bottle of water or something, and less wool clothing (it was so damn hot onstage that some girl nearly fainted), but I can't complain much--pre-UIL was a lot worse. I kind of missed one of those big long low notes in a song because my throat was all dried out, which was a strange experience; when I really hit a note like that full voice, a low D flat, I instantly feel like I am the only person singing in the choir. I swear to god, the resonance of that note through my bones makes me impervious to any other sound, regardless of the fact that I'm in the midst of some flamboyant first sopranos. When it really works, I feel kind of proud but kind of dumb at the same time because essentially all I hear is this long foghorn noise and despite the fact that I'm one of few who can do it, I'm really unsure if it even sounds remotely like music anyway, kind of like the guy in your dorm room who can dislocate both his shoulders and knees and walk like an ostrich--it's uncommon, and certainly impressive in a way, but not terribly close to fine art.

I don't have to write much about this because it should be obvious why it's a bad thing: the power of the filibuster in Congress is one of the things that upholds the constitutional--as well as natural--law which states that the will of the majority cannot be used to repress the rights of the minority. One of the judicial nominees blocked from being voted upon is quoted by Sen. Charles Schumer as saying that "God's gift to white people was slavery." Nice.

Oppose the "nuclear option" being proposed. It's absolutely terrifying to think of Congress as a big stamp for appointing right-wing nutcase justices. I mean, no matter what end of the political spectrum you're on, it's kind of easy to see that 51% is NOT A MANDATE.

Tomorrow I'm wearing my John Kerry shirt.

No comments: