Thursday, May 06, 2004

I ate a blackberry today, and unbeknownst to me, there was a fire ant sitting on it. I reached inside my mouth to pull something off my cheek after chewing up the berry, and realized that the little guy had clamped onto my epithelial cells, which fortunately saved me of a poisonous oral wound.

Just thought you might want to know.

Also realized something today as I was speculating on my bike ride; nobody seems to really look at the sky anymore. I looked up to see a huge, wispy V of orange cirrus cloud moving through the air like a gigantic phoenix, while I was, incidentally, eating berries at a dead end in a new development. I also saw a cloud that looked like a fine-toothed comb. Does anybody notice this stuff anymore? We're always walking around, looking ahead of us, watching for stuff on the ground, looking down at homework assignments, down at the concrete, down at the grass, but never up anymore. Is it because the sky doesn't mean anything for us now that we've figured out the science behind it, and eradicated the myth that the sun is a huge, semi-conscious ball of "ether" (yes, Lucretius again)? Looking at the world as a collection of protons and neutrons and beta waves and air currents and pressure zones and chemical reactions is cool with me, but it's as if some people forget to realize that no matter how trivial the knowledge of their existence, molecules and mundane scientific phenomena such as clouds and trees are still beautiful.

No comments: