Wednesday, January 01, 2003

Happy new year to all. And, if I don't summarize my year, it may not seem like a new year at all.

Freshman year was fun, I must admit. A cappella choir, while not being too good, was more fun than chorale, in my opinion. I knew everyone, unlike the unruly mob that is the 5th period I know today. I suppose the best experience relating to choir was the San Antonio trip. We ran around the mall, played video games, ate pizza, and pried out the wall outlet in our hotel room to make way for the nintendo. And of course, there was the quick relationship between Mary and I. It was fun, but short-lived, and I never think we were meant for each other. Still, I still hold some good memories from it.

The summer was really shitty. Not only was it a little too long and boring, but I had to take that class in summer school. Seven hours a day of sitting around watching movies was literally painful. I also evolved into a very antisocial person from the experience. Only one person I knew took classes in the summer; Mark Anderson. I shall say no more.

I was almost overjoyed to be back and school and with some friends, despite my slight dislike of chorale. The Gillespies had moved, and the group of friends that was once me, Kieron, Rob and Todd disintegrated into, well, me and Rob. Todd's cool, but most silent, and I only see him during chemistry. Did I mention he looks like John Lennon? Yeah. Anyway, being the obsessive romantic I tend to be, I developed a lot of little crushes on some girls, which I won't go into detail about. All you have to do is read the archives to see my pathetic little love life. I was generally pretty depressed and bitter towards the world, for what, I didn't know. I didn't trust other people (and don't get me wrong, I still don't), and now that I look back on it, I'm not even sure I trusted myself. My self-esteem was a little low, I guess. I kept up some decent grades though, and continued to sit around doing homework and napping at lunch. I think Mary tried to cheer me up during a few of those lunch periods; and even if she wasn't trying, I thank her. I was glad to still have some good friends, but I was a bit... I don't know. It was my cynical side taking over, I suppose. Being alone a lot was good for me though. In fact, the entire year I was on a little quest to discover who I was, because I never did, and sometimes still don't understand myself. I know now that I'm a little two-sided; the cynical romantic, was it? During the summer also I attempted to compile all my philosophies and atheist bitterness into something that defined myself.

Anyway, it all leads up to me meeting Jennifer, becoming a relatively cheerful person, and writing constantly about her in the twelfth of the year I've been with her. She is, without a doubt, someone that brings out the good side of me, and one of the few people who can. I love her more than anything, and really don't know what I'd do without her. One of the other people who can cheer me up is Julia. I have to thank her for being the coolest friend a guy could have. Enough said. The year is complete, and all my inner demons that I may have manifested during it are vanquished!

I am finally content with my life.

No comments: