Wednesday, December 26, 2007

strange, strange day

Wednesday are usually my early night, but leaving Legume at 5:00 is an entirely new thing for me. We weren't actually open today, but I headed to the restaurant at ten to get caught up for the daunting week ahead. There's a busy Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and then we've got to get up early as hell to cook our first brunch at 10:00 AM. The following day is the extravagant New Year's Eve dinner, which features a pretty ambitious tasting menu. Preserved foie gras with cornmeal crepes and prunes, the usual pork terrine that I do except with black truffles, roasted quail, scallops, etc. It's going to be amazing. It's just going to take a lot of work, such as butchering forty or fifty quail, and they're awfully little.

I think it's going to be challenging, although nothing compared to some of the tasks I've been charged with in my cooking career. I'm only nervous about the brunch. Breakfast cookery is something I learned briefly but never did professionally--it's going to be a lot faster and more demanding than any of the groggy morning-after meals I've created.

The week off will follow any stressful nights I have this week anyway. Not that I'm just pushing through work from weekend to weekend or anything, but admittedly I'm excited to experience a week the way other people do, and without the exhaustion that goes along with the holidays. Plus, it's going to snow!

No comments: