Sunday, December 23, 2007

fixed gear mountain bike

So, despite the lack of real winter here so far, I'm riding around with my studded tires--people I've talked to have said I should just put em on now, and ride until I see green grass again. It's a whole different bike. Generally, I avoid things like sewer grates, big potholes, curbs, and small animals, but now the bike rolls over all kinds of crazy shit. It's basically a 29er mountain bike at the moment, so I've been experimenting with jumping onto curbs and riding through the park to get to work. It's actually pretty awesome. At first the incredible amount of rolling resistance made me a lot slower, but it's not bad now that I'm used to riding thicker tires that're larger in diameter and at a lower pressure, at the same 39x13.

Christmas is here, finally. I get a vacation. And really, this is just vacation part one. The entire first week of January is mine to do whatever the hell I want, whether it's riding to Cleveland or sitting on my couch with a bunch of forties. The riding to Cleveland thing is actually a pretty realistic idea, too. The weather of late has been in the high fifties, with sunshine, although today it's raining quite a bit. I'm wishing for an ice storm like the one we had during the Christmas party. This time, instead of falling on my ass, I plan to roll past all the awful traffic...

1 comment:

Mark said...

Got any pix of your rig?