Monday, December 17, 2007

crazy mocha? what?

I've changed coffee shops today, on this wonderfully icy day off. Crazy Mocha in Oakland. Coffee's good, internet's free and doesn't require a username and password, it's easier to get a table and the barista is in the top three hottest women in Pittsburgh, maybe even top two, and the music here is good indie rock instead of festive and annoying Christmas stuff. So, it's a nice change of scene.

I saw, while locking up--no joke--a black and gold track bike with a bandolier full of 7.62mm bullets as a top tube protector today. It changed my life.

Last night I seriously fell on my ass, riding to and then from the Legume Christmas party. It hurt, although not nearly as much as falling when it's just dry concrete. I'm not bad at the falling part--when you skid out on the ice it's really just a matter of holding your bike with one hand, and sliding onto the road with your other side, as opposed to letting the bike totally leave you and breaking your tailbone with the shock. Not to mention, if you hold onto the bike and dismount properly, without landing on the wheels with all your weight, you won't hurt anything; Alice remains unscatched from the recent trauma (she's a strong, strong girl). The bad part is, I've only ever fallen twice, and last night I fell two times in a three-hour period. So, it's time for snow tires. I ordered two 700x35 Innova tires with aggressive tread and carbon steel studs as soon as I got home last night. They should be here Wednesday. Honestly, I'm pretty excited about riding on ice like it's pavement.

The part I am pretty good at so far is staying warm. It's amazing how you don't need many layers, just very thorough protection for your extremities. Yes, I am riding in L.L. Bean hunting boots.

On that note, ow. My butt hurts.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Well... I hate to say I told you so... but that's my job!
Sounds like it's time for those padded leathers the biker guys wear. Keep you warm too - though you might look like something out of a Mad-Max Geek-a-thon on an old bike ;-) I am sure you were wearing your helmet - right?
:-(
NETmom