Monday, December 03, 2007

KMC: kill my children

Broke a KMC Z chain the other day taking Alice up a hill. Pin broke right in half. It's the third chain I've ever snapped, and I'm not sure if it's the fact that a fixed drivetrain takes a lot more abuse or that KMC has been nicknamed Kill My Children by fellow cyclists. Anyway, the chain ended up being too short after removing the damaged links, and I didn't have spares, so I went to Kraynick's today to get another one.

I got the exact same chain, but it cost me a ridiculous seven dollars. I set out today expecting to spend 30 bucks on a new component, and this guy's bike shop, which is like what my garage will be like in heaven, has a million of these BMX chains lying around. It's incredible.

Anyway, despite the fact that it's the same chain, I feel better about this one--I installed it, so I'm familiar with what links I broke and reattached. Plus, I didn't use the convenient master link, so that should make the chain much stronger.

On the subject of bikes, the rides are getting a little more icy every day, so I'm being forced to become a better rider. Jumped off a curb the other day into a sheet of ice, and luckily managed to pull the back wheel out before I skidded out, but it was a scary sensation. I'm changing my tires from IRC slicks to Bontrager Turbos today, which are strong as hell, provide good traction, and are a lovely 20mm wide.

2 comments:

Karen said...

And you ARE using (wearing) your helmet right?
I don't relish the thought of nursing two brain injured relatives at the same time... on is enough!
NETmom

Anonymous said...

bet it's cold there! be careful. miss you!