Saturday, December 20, 2003

In response to my previous post, someone responded to me on AIM:

platoismyhero: Yesterday in class this beast of a student knocked the clock off of the wall with his head. Upon remounting it to the wall, the minute and hour hands began to spin interminably. the incident made me ponder this post. The idea that time is merely a construction of our inferior human minds is fun to entertain but simply unfounded. The Mayans were perhaps the first to rationalize what humans have always known.

platoismyhero: They were able to create calenders, if you will, that infallibly predicted years, seasons, solstices, days, hours... Their ideas have been confirmed with our modern knowledge of space and orbits. EVERYTHING HAPPENS IN CYCLES! Seasons, days, mating, birth, love, life, death. Time is a mathematical measure of these very real cycles. Science. This is science, not fantasy. It didn't matter that the clock on that classroom wall was jumping days ahead! outside, our faithful Earth was still moving in its same, preditable path. science. reality.

Now, I'm not after the destruction of minutes and hours as we know it. In fact, I would tend to agree with this person here, if someone asked me what I think about the universe; the idea that time is an illusion is, well, difficult to even begin to comprehend. At this moment, I'm thinking about a lot of things, and my goal is not necessarily to believe in any of them. I don't think that truly accepting anything is wise. You know, within practical limitations, of course--I'm not going to start sleeping in until 1 PM every school day and claim that nothing matters because "time isn't real", or start trying to manifest hundred dollar bills with the power of my mind. I guess speculation into the realm of weird shit is just an unhealthy hobby of mine; I don't really mean to denounce established science with it, only remind people that just because Dr.Whatshisface from the Academy of People in White Coats says that the universe is made of matter doesn't mean we have to accept it--it just means we have to use that concept in the physical world that we deal with daily, not in whatever may lie beneath.

I actually think I just need to go to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Moopygall Andrew Luck authentic jersey www.officialtexansfansshop.com Andrew Luck Womens Jersey Dientwicilt