Monday, January 28, 2008

Went for a great ride today. The weather was beautiful, the bike was rolling smoothly (note to self: lubricate like every day instead of every week, the difference in feel is AMAZING), and I actually brought tools in case I got a flat this time. Riding long-distance is becoming more and more interesting to me... being somewhat flush with spending money at the moment, I bought things like a double bottle cage that mounts on my seatpost, a new frame pump that will actually put tires at 120 psi, spare tubes, patch kits, a bright-as-fuck headlight. The kind of touring I want to do is light, light, light. Like, messenger bag with a few tools and some food. I just haven't decided yet if I literally want to take my messenger bag to, say, Cleveland or Greensburg to start, or if I ought to get a cheap rack and panniers.



The Birmingham Bridge.


Gutted building, Market Square. A guy came up to me and asked what I saw in this photograph--I said I loved seeing a window through a window, that it reminded me of the way we're taught to be constantly dissatisfied, how as soon as we achieve something we want, we don't give a shit anymore and look to what's next, what's better, what's more expensive. Americans are all about getting that promotion, that bigger house, better car, sexier girlfriend, better body, and the lifestyle that causes is so empty.


Construction on a new skyscraper downtown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your family's roots are in nearby Ft. Washington! How about a search?
Nice pics... what sort of Frame pump did you get? I'm still looking too!
Sorry to say OLOK has passed on to kitty heaven (or maybe kitty hell...?) RIP.