Saturday, June 03, 2006


Rainy day in the strip. I was caught in a thunderstorm walking towards downtown with many many pounds of produce, chicken bones, etc.


Contemplating the stock.


With nearly nine pounds of bones, I used mine and my roommate's stockpots and made two batches of chicken stock. It was a massive undertaking, especially the straining, which involved a plastic dresser drawer taken from my cheap dorm furniture. Someday I will own a giant All-Clad stockpot and a chinois, but it's not going to happen on eight dollars an hour.


This was dinner while the stocks simmered--a curried red lentil ragout with banana peppers, onions, celery, garlic, and apples. It's simmered with bruised stalks of lemongrass and cinnamon sticks. I had a sauteèd chicken breast to go with--at 2.19 a pound, I bought a giant sack of them today at Wholey's, so there's enough for Mulligatawny tomorrow at work, and enough to subsist on for awhile.


No comments: