Friday, November 25, 2005

yeah yeah, cook stuff

Had lamb chops with a roasted garlic-infused balsamic molasses reduction tonight. It sounds fancy, but it's evidence of what you do in college dormitory cooking; deglaze your pans and infuse your oils with whatever the hell is on top of the fridge. A two-dollar lamb shoulder chop just happened to be in my freezer, and when I took my saute pan out of the oven to remove the medium-rare chop, I just happened to see some molasses and balsamic vinegar. It turned out very nicely despite the ugly brown color; fresh roma tomatoes, bell peppers, and sweet yellow onions accompanied it. I would've had a starch but everything has been eaten.

On that note, I actually bought two lamb chops but when I looked in the freezer tonight, one of them had been removed from the package. Whoever did this didn't seal the other one back up and it got freezer burn, which is why I cooked it with tomatoes and vinegar. Amazingly, a lot of moisture ended up going back into the product that way. I sauteed the vegetables, then made an empty space in the middle of the pan where I put tomato slices, and then the chop on top. I finished the whole thing in the oven, and then made the sauce on the range. I figured if I elevated the meat from the oil, it wouldn't sear and get crispy but rather get kind of steamed from the tomatoes.

Sorry, this was really cool-looking, but I left my camera at Ashley's place this morning. I have to get pictures of the saute pan I used for this up here, too--it's a brand new Calphalon ten-inch tri-ply stainless with an aluminum core. It was only 30 freaking dollars. I feel like a consumer whore for buying housewares on Black Friday, but damned if it wasn't worth it. You'll agree once I get some before/after pictures of what I cooked on before--ancient teflon-coated saucers that you could probably fly like a kite.

No comments: