Wednesday, November 09, 2005

cooked some pigs

New uniforms. Allright. Way schway jackets with my name on em and new checks. It's amazing how fast you fuck up these chef's jackets--to have new ones for ruination is delightful. With my luck, I'll hack into an explosive beet tomorrow and look like I'm right out of Saw 2.

Now check this out:





The pork rotation, consisting of:

Proteins:

A - Grilled Pork Chop, Robert Sauce
Roasted Pork Loin w/ Honey & Thyme Glaze

B - Pork Bostonian
Sauteed Medallions of Pork w/ Apple and Caraway (my item of the day)

Entrementier:

A - Green Beans w/ Curry Emulsion
Small-Diced Beets w/ Horseradish Butter
O'Brian Potatoes
Barley Pilaf

B - Duchesse Potatoes
Angel Hair Pasta w/ Pesto
Tourne Carrots
Sauteed Spinach

Aside from fabrication of monstrous hunks of pork, I've been relaxing on my days off. I read Kitchen Confidential again, which is still about 60% of my inspiration to become a professional cook. Bought a hardback copy of Dante's Inferno today and started that. I cannot describe how nice it is to enjoy classic literature without picking it to death for extra points on your GPA. I can interpret the meaning of the poetry--whether it's a treatise on morals or theology or just an adventure in a really grotesque Hell with pointless Christian symbolism (like many a good anime)--any Goddamn way I want to.

So I've been at the Beehive in the Southside some more, and today I walked around Oakland, the university town. Pretty cool up there, but not my scene as much as East Carson. I went to Prana just to see if the regular coffee brewmasters were around, but it's changed into a local hiphop venue. It was destined for that, I think, due to it's location--right at the end of a row of really sleazy nightclubs. Ironically, I saw the chick who served me Kona at 2 AM awhile back at the Beehive, which is, I guess, just better.

No comments: