Sunday, July 17, 2005

Pittsburgh -- Steel City


Finally got the damn computer to work up here, and now I've got my own broadband internet. I can download shit at 400 kb/s and it's not behind some godawful router firewall.

I feel like I've lived in this city for years, not two weeks. I've done a lot of stuff already. Yesterday I saw Die Valkure at Byham Theatre. That Lord of the Rings performance that was in Houston is going to be here the 22nd and 23rd at Heinz Hall (about a minute down the street from my dorm instead of a 45-minute commute, ha), except this one has a world premier performance by Billy Boyd (Pippin)--he's gonna sing that song from Return of the King. I've walked east to the Strip District and been in so many strange international grocery stores, weird independent music stores, etc. I've eaten out a few times with Ashley (girlfriend) and her mom, though all they eat is Italian and I'm anxious to find some better restaurants. I eat a lot of bagels. Bruegger's Bagel Bakery has some kickass bagels and French roast coffee. Tuesday is all you can eat night at this sushi joint in Station Square (southside) so I think I'll be hitting that. I've yet to visit a lot of the surrounding areas like Squirrel Hill and Shadyside, but I'm looking forward to more exploration. I went across the Bridge that goes to the ballpark the other night and found this great park in the Northside with a really long walking path that goes right along the Allegheny. I might go to the same place in the daytime soon for some photography--there are a lot of neat things to see.

So I'm doing pretty well. I'll make a post about school later on because that kicks ass too.

~under the bridge downtown

No comments: