Thursday, July 07, 2005

holy crap

I've been in Pittsburgh a few days now. Living downtown in this city is amazing. My dorm is essentially a kitchen with a range, a full-sized fridge, a few cabinets, and a table with some benches that opens up into our three bedrooms. I've got the only double room and my roommate is this guy named Justin. My other two roommates are another Justin and Eric. Nice guys. We get along pretty well although we don't really hang around in the same circles. It took me just a few hours of being here to be drawn to a group of neat people. Incidentally it took me two days to start dating one of them, Ashley, who's a real sweet girl.

I started classes yesterday, and they're getting more interesting as we get more things assigned to us. I've got most of my uniform but I'm waiting for my hilarious checkerboarded pants to be hemmed, and I should get my cutlery and various equipment Monday. My schedule is something like this--Strategies for Success 8:30 to 9:30, my first Skills class 9:30 to 12:30, Sanitation 1:30 to 2:30, and then Hospitality Math 2:30 to 3:30. The instructors are relatively loose on when they let us out. Chef Schmucker, my skills teacher, usually gives us a pretty long break in the middle of class. I use my spare time to wander around this city and do awesome stuff. I took a 45-minute bus ride to Monroeville yesterday with Ashley and hung out at her place, bought some produce, etc. It's nice to not have to eat typical dorm food all the time. The school restaurant that your meal plan allows you is pretty nice and I'm cooking some fettucini alfredo tonight on my dinky electric stove.

I kinda got to get going. I'll be able to write more in detail though Friday or Monday when I have my computer. The cable guy is going to wire up my broadband internet Friday.

No comments: