Monday, September 20, 2004

Apple Pie; Baseball; Scholarships

From now until March 5, 2005, I will take on a new ambitious mission: to become a master of apple pie. I will bake, and bake until I bake in my sleep, and then I will continue to bake until I feel that my buttermilk apple pie is a masterpiece worthy of Chairman Kaga. I will be able to simply walk into my kitchen blindfolded, find ingredients, and make a pie on gut instinct when I am finished.

The purpose is to enter the CIA's (Culinary Institute of America) All-American Apple Pie Contest. I must forge a beautiful work of art in the fires of my Jenn-Air oven worthy of professional photography, send the CIA a picture, and write an essay which pours out my otherworldly passion for food. The first pie will be made tomorrow, using vegetable shortening for crust, as I will be focusing on the pie filling itself first, and the perfection of a flaky crust later (any pie guru will tell you that both filling and crust must be in complete harmony for a truly glorious pastry). I intend to keep a photo diary of my progress.

No comments: