Friday, October 10, 2003

I am lonely, and bored. I need to get out of here. Someone come over here and get me. I'll buy ya a latte or something.

Meh. It's not that bad. Todd'll be around. Right now imma post this unorganized piece of stuff I'd been scribbling in school today:

A SATIRE ON EXISTENCE

I'd like to say that up until now, I've had a very easy life. I'm one of the luckiest people in the world -- I live in a country with a GNP of more than 300 pesos, I was born into a relatively wealthy and stable family, and, sadly, adding to the ease at which I can gain status in the world, I'm a white male.

Because you see, I may complain that I don't have a car, that high school is stressful beyond what I know, or that I think our country's reputation (and level of power) in the world is slowly descending into the seventh circle of hell (I'll get to that later, but it has a lot to do with the incompetence of my fellow white males), but what's it matter?

I could just as easily be a starving little Ethiopian wraith, eating clay to make my stomach pains subside. Or a 16 year-old heroin addict, sleeping in the least mildewed cardboard boxes I can find. Or my parents could be raging drunks, physically abusing me every day after school. Considering my alternatives, I think my current situation is extremely positive.

So you'll understand that if I'm ever feeling a little depressed, I might feel silly, or even guilty, when looking at the big picture -- because no matter how bad things get, they can always get a lot worse. Instead of doing my difficult physics homework, I could be taking an acid bath in Saddam Hussein's lakehouse.


Now, on humans.

I find humans hilarious. We rise up from single-celled globs of carbon to little spiny lobsters to monkeys to apes to tribes of smarter apes, and before you know it, we've conquered it all. We've made up these incredibly elaborate theologies and philosophies that say we're definitely too good for all of that; that it must've been an old, omnipotent man in the sky that started this whole shindig rather than the simple arrangement of particles. After all, we're too special to be protons and neutrons, right? We've got souls!

Not.

We're chemical reactions, and nothing more. There's nothing holy or spiritual or divine about us, or the way we came into existance. Nothing special -- just material driven around by energy. We're as alive and insignificant as a dandelion; and made out of the same stuff. Our eternally pure "souls" are nothing more than electromagnetic fields created by all those little neurons we've got between our ears.

And I don't find that hard to understand, or even accept. The fact that I'm just an insignificant result of a collection of physical laws is actually much more comforting to me than any deity. One can choose to live a happy life on this ball of cosmic dirt, die, and decompose, releasing everything you are back into the environment you drew it from...

...or would you rather live on faith? Shadowed all the time by an invisible dictator who wants you to meet some divine quota - just so he won't have to sear your flesh off your bones for all eternity. I'll take my carbon molecules and electromagnetic fields, thank you very much.

Common sense, right?

Apparently not, according to most of the world's biased populace. I did say I find humanity hilarious.

Not only are we just chemical reactions, we're the most volatile ones on the planet! Nothing is more acidic to nature than acid rain. It's a terrible predicament the Earth has gotten herself into these past hundred thousand years.

She feeds us food and water, grows us our crops, lets us drill holes in her very bosom and extract her blood, and what do we give in return? Nuclear waste! Landfills! Oil spills! Veritable mountains of indispensible toxic goo to pollute the atmosphere, kill the wildlife (and occasionally ourselves; was Chernobyl a bad thing?), and gradually heat up the whole place like an oven, which may, in the end, cleanse the poor planet by bringing about our destruction.

But enough about that. It's a terrible tragedy, this destruction of our only air, water, and living quarters, but I find it to be hopeless. I agree with most environmentalists completely -- sure there's need for change -- but it's not going to happen.

We're way too concerned with our petty diplomatic affairs, our wars, our businesses, our money, and our lives in general to really do much about it. So I still eat my meat, drive my SUVs (thought I do want my hydrogen-powered cars, because gas costs an arm and a leg ever since we started shooting up the Middle East), and tune into CNN every night, in my unnecessarily gigantic two-story suburban home with the big backyard, to watch for more signs of that utterly inevitable and apocolyptic nuclear war.

So what? Just the incineration of some more carbon molecules -- it's been happening forever.


No comments: