Tuesday, January 09, 2007


Well, all has returned to normal around here. Bills paid, I was somehow left with an exorbitant amount of money in the bank this month, so, I bought a computer. One of those new-fangled laptop computers, and with Windows XP on it, too! Apparently I can take this computer anywhere I want to, unfold it, and use it just like my old one, which lies sadly disassembled on the floor. For those who didn't know, the old machine turned off and didn't turn back on sometime on Christmas Eve.

Sterling called me the other day at work at asked if I was in Austin to visit, or if I had already left. I do remember, some time ago, mentioning to several people down South that I'd try to visit in January, maybe after the New Years' Eve four course tasting menu had been dealt with. Unfortunately, that just never materialized. While most other restaurants are cutting labor and shortening their menus for the slow season, we're just about to get our asses kicked a little bit harder than last time. A ten day festival with three special tasting menus, commemorating Soba's ten year anniversary, as well a Chinese New Year menu, and then Valentine's Day, is very near. The bottom line is, maybe after February. I miss all of you dearly, but I've just got too many steaks in the oven right now.

The New Years' Eve event, by the way, was an incredible success. We did 182 covers, mostly of the special menus, and without too many problems. My most fond memory is before service, at one in the afternoon, when we all went out to the bar to discuss our game plan. Everyone was very grave, speaking in low voices, still hoarse from the previous Saturday night of service, about "having enough pea shoots and taro chips," and "the Sri Lankan potato soup, what will be the garnish for that?" as if we were preparing to go into battle. Sauces were heated, carrots were julienned, and rice was cooked off. I may have eaten a piece of pizza. My life, friends, is a very serious affair.

I have a horrible laceration on my left hand, below the thumb. I'll not go into great detail or put up any photographs, but let's just say, for sake of awareness, that you should never throw away the lid to a can unless you put it inside the empty can. I spent two hours of service Saturday night at Shadyside Hospital getting stitches because I was sliced open like a soggy baguette while taking out the trash. I then left the hospital, stopped in at the Coffee Tree on Walnut for a hot Americano, dirty chef's whites, bandaged hand and all, and headed back to work.

I must stop here, but I will say that this laptop I've got is truly awesome. And it should be, especially since I am absolutely fucking broke now!

More later, on oxtail stew!

2 comments:

Cait said...

-gasp-!

I know that mural!!!!


hope all is well/that the hand feels better.

Anonymous said...

jeebus! My Christmas gift to you was returned to me. I shall send it again. Friggin' UPS.