Monday, January 29, 2007

holy hell, it's like two degrees outside

I found a few interesting things in the Strip today, the first being tripe, which I haven't done since back in school, and the second being Polish blood sausage (kiska). The tripe's on the stove right now. It's got to be blanched hard first and then rinsed, and then it's simmered for several hours until it's reached a nice gelatinous texture. The last time I had it was at work, when a co-worker made menudo, and it was way too tough, so I'm going to see if I can't improve on that effort. I'm making something like menudo but I'm probably going to throw in a few fennel bulbs too. If all else fails, the blood sausage is absolutely sublime. I was searching for French boudin noir and ended up finding something like pork sausage bound with beef blood, made by some rural western PA company.

Hopefully the menudo I make will be like most, and cure this stupid head cold I've got. Being sick is horribly annoying.

(edit: holy shit, I spelled menudo wrong. Whatever I was sick with, however, has been cured by the power of beef stomach and blood sausage.)






This pizza's got artichoke hearts, olives, roasted peppers, smoked mozzerella, goat cheese, and prosciutto on it--the sauce, and whole wheat crust, are from scratch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that 2 degrees without windchill? And why isn't there a key for the degree symbol?

Anonymous said...

menudo bonehead! I have had really good and awful--nothing in between! sendin you some chilis from fannin-be careful! It's 54 here-waiting for the arctic blast--may get in the 20's hah!

Cait said...

It is too cold here!

example: I was outside for 5 minutes last night waiting for a PAT bus, and my toes went numb. They stayed numb for a half hour. and I was wearing furry boots.

not. cool.


hope all is well in chef-land!