Monday, October 09, 2006

marca verde

So aside from musing on the meaning of alcoholism and drug addiction, I've been up to a lot lately. Last Thursday I worked a huge catering gig downtown--a 500 person fundraiser for the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust. It was a pretty smooth (and surprisingly easy) operation until it came time to clean the place up. Imagine doing dishes for such an event in a cold alley with no running water, stacking wire racks of plates and glasses up on wooden platforms for extraction by the rental company in the morning.

Today I woke up earlier than usual to go read the paper at Starbucks (quite possibly one of my favorite things to do, ever, in the world). Also, I walked through Whole Foods and found unusually cheap blue Stilton. Exquisite.

Earlier in the week, I played a new sport called Frisbee Golf, which involves frisbees, and adheres to golf-like rules. It's golf for hippies. Hooray! I became stuck in Schenley Park with no ride as a result of this sport, and was an hour late to work.

Earlier, yea, even earlier than that, I went out to meet friends for a grand scrabble tournament. When only my friend, the server Jacque, showed up at the meeting-place, we had a lovely chat and proceeded to look for a scrabble board for ourselves. When that proved unsuccessful (American society is breaking down, and bookstores no longer sell Scrabble), she taught me the fine art of soapmaking in her Victorian home North of the city. I learned that chemical burns from lye are bad, and I was convinced to join the fan club of an amazing cat.

No comments: