Wednesday, January 14, 2009

cold

Every winter, I coat the inside of my steel frame with an aerosol compound called Frame Saver. It's some kind of petroleum distillate that hardens into a gummy layer when exposed to the air, and it greatly protects against the road salt that is used in great excess in this city. Most of the time it's just overkill--the amount of salt they sling on the concrete from huge trucks--at least for my traction needs on the road. I've only broken out the studded tires a few times so far this winter, and really just because it's fun on occasion.

It's hard to keep momentum when there are carbide spikes sticking out of your wheels though, and exerting yourself really takes its toll on your energy reserves when starts to get below around 20 degrees--you're burning a hell of a lot of calories in the winter just to keep the blood in your fingers liquid. It's gonna be in the single digits this week, probably below zero for a day or two, and the snow is finally dry and powdery, not a frozen sheet that thaws to a disgusting saltwater slush in the daytime. I get excited thinking about moving to a city that has a real winter someday, with less freezing rain. But in any case, I have my narrow tires on with a little less pressure in the tubes than usual, and that does just fine. I'm also using my nicer set, a pair of Serfas Seca RS 23s that run about forty bucks apiece and are worth it for the flat protection, rolling resistance, and traction, instead of the rather flimsy ten-dollar hutchinsons.

Pictures to start happening again soon, the weather's about to get pretty intense and I'd like to get some photos of it. I found my cable, just need to buy some batteries, as my headlight's been eating them up. Really need to get a rechargable headlight.

2 comments:

Karen said...

My little wildling tomato plant in the front planter is puttin on ner tomatoes and surviving the occassional 28 degree morning (yesterday) just fine. The bitter cold is not really expected to hit us ,maybe another slightly below freezing morning. We are on the sheltered, South side of a large hill, so frost really doesn't hit us either! There was a 200lb+ deer in the back yard being cleaned by your dad - from one of the school board hunters - a Freer Co. monster... he cut it up for sausage - though kept the nice bits! Are you ready for an Austin visit yet?!?
netMOM

Karen said...

I did neglect to mention that it was a balmy 65 degrees yesterday...though it may only get into the 50's today... :-(