Sunday, November 11, 2007

61C cafe

I love bicycles. I'm actually looking at mine right now through the window of the 61C, a coffeehouse named for the bus line it's on. She's a work of art now, although not nearly complete. I put bullhorn bars on last week with mountain bike brake levers--I decided I just really don't need drop bars, and didn't like the ergonomic design of the ones I had. These are lighter and more upright. I'm waiting for the proper brake levers to come in the mail, which will actually plug into the bar ends instead of clamping onto the bars, so I'll have a much larger selection of riding positions (that's sort of what it's about, being able to put your hands in different places to avoid fatigue). Eventually I'll have the cables out of the way, underneath bar wraps. Right now it's bare metal with brake cables all over the place.

I went to Avalon today. I got some low-top Chucks for twelve bucks. I feel like a champion. Also, new pants. Every pair of jeans I own has a pair of holes in the back from where they get stretched out by my bike saddle. It's getting to be a little obscene.

Speaking of riding, it's getting cold. This is going to be the first winter I've really ridden in (I haven't even really been riding for a year!) and I'm really catching onto what's important. Wearing tons of layers isn't so important as keeping your extremities covered--I find myself getting overheated even below freezing when I have a lot of clothing on, but fine when my ears, face and hands are covered fairly well. I actually like it quite a bit more than riding in the summer--I'm less of a mess when I get to my destination. Being sniffly isn't as gross as being drenched in sweat.

Coffee is nice. It's five o'clock right now and this is the first cup I've had today, and I can really feel myself becoming a nicer person. I'm kind of caustic and socially awkward when I'm going through caffeine withdrawal.

Everything seems so much clearer when it's cold. Like the world is one big icy mirror that shows us ourselves in everything we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine you being either caustic or socially awkward. But then, I guess you didn't experience things like caffeine withdrawals back when we hung out...since we were usually at a coffee shop. :) I miss those days.