Monday, July 24, 2006

whole nutmeg <3

Today was a very good day. Quite possibly the most challenging so far in my short career, in fact--party of 25, party of 15, full house all in a very short period of time. On Mondays we don't operate with a very big crew, which left the GM expediting, the only chef we had with us helping out the wok station, and me juggling six filets, five halibuts, three duck breasts, in addition to normal service.

I've been on grill before, helping out a little with big nights like this. I've done the simple cooking, grill-marks and cooking sets on the range. But tonight was the first night the whole thing was entrusted to me, no help outside. I felt powerful, determining temps for my steaks, putting massive quantities of food into the oven at once, doing sautè work in big sautoise to fit all the vegetables in. It felt awesome, actually.

So, aside from all the ridiculous business lately (Singapore Food Festival last week is a whole different story), things are going rather well. I've been running a lot lately, as this climate is a bit more forgiving than what I'm used to in July. It feels good to stay in shape, helps a lot with staying focused. I'd recommend to anyone weightlifting, running, anything that pushes you to a limit, as well as meditation. Not because it awakens any kind of spiritual bullshit deep inside you, but because everyone should take some time to clear your mind, get your thoughts in line. Also, don't smoke marijuana. No one believes me when I say this but I never have, and never will.

As far as the financial situation goes, I am no longer living on angel hair pasta and olive oil. While still definitely squeezing my pennies and so forth, I was able to buy a good amount of food, stuff to put my posters up, hang my kitchen utensils on the wall, etc. The apartment, or the Death Star as I like to call it (that was a direct plagiarism from Dane Cook), now looks a lot more like home. It would be lovely, however, to have a desk, maybe a couch and a dining room table and chairs. Life is a work in progress.

No comments: