Friday, May 12, 2006

argh, my day off is almost over.


A stew that I made tonight. I began by browning the beef at very high heat, then added quartered cloves of garlic and diced onion with tomato paste to caramelize, flour to incorporate a blonde roux, then my homemade beef stock, and allowed it to simmer for an hour. I added a garnish of carrots and turnips, and fresh sage.

The Coquille St.Jacques--a half dozen scallops covered with a royal glacage inside Duchesse potatoes. It's not terribly appealling if done wrong--a royal glacage is equal parts Hollandaise, whipped cream, and cuisson (fish stock thickened with beurre manie), which will seperate into a pool of congealed egg yolk and butterfat if measured incorrectly. The cholesterol content of the dish is mind-boggling anyway, even if executed well.
Medallions de veau aux fines herbs et au champagne. Tenderized veal medallions sauteèd and served with a sauce of champagne, creme fraiche, dijon mustard, and fine herbs (parsley tarragon, chervil, and chives). I was happy to have the oppurtunity to work on this dish--the sauce is incredible and complements the mild veal perfectly.
Potato Leek Soup. Not exactly the same thing as my recipe but rather nice, nonetheless. When I made this, Chef had me press it through a sieve which yielded a very smooth product.
The Navarin of Lamb--leg of lamb cubed and braised in brown veal stock. This is what I based my stew on, or at least its technique. The browning of the meat at the beginning is crucial. Without the caramelization, the sauce will not have the same richness.
Crepinette de Boeuf. A section of beef tenderloin browned, and wrapped in a mousseline style chicken forcemeat, garnished with shiitake mushrooms, shallots, garlic, Madiera wine reduction, and chiffonaded spinach.

No comments: