Tuesday, November 24, 2009

thanks giving.

I have a friend named John White. He's a Scotsman in his fifties now living in Wilkinsburg.

"Let's all go around the table, and tell everyone about the best thing that happened today," he says, unfailingly, every single time I see him. I see him often. He lives three blocks away from my best friend, Justin. He believes in this daily ritual so much that he has proposed a religion based on it. The Church of John White, held in an abandoned church, with weed and cheap beer and nostalgia, is an idea we revisit as often as our good days. It'll probably happen.

I am lucky enough to come up with something easily every day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Misha said...

My mom called it best part of your day and we did it every single night growing up. It's kind of nice to think about something good rather than focusing on the not-so-good.

Karen said...

Strangely, made me recall "The Power of Postive Thinking"... a book by Norman Vincent Peale. And, a part of the strange times my parents grew up in post WWII...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Vincent_Peale. Interesting to see the return of this philosophy.Which in some respects denies the existence of reality, or at least the negative parts of life....perhaps a bit extreme...with a focus on the postivie... I thought that the next generation might be swinging back to a time with less unrest, and more "sameness"... say it ain't so!
netMOM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

I think when 1/3rd of your generation has been on some sort of antidepressant by the end of high school it's hard not to try desperately to cling to optimism. Everybody's so damn screwed up and I just wanna have a barbecue!