Tuesday, September 09, 2008

my name is john, and I'm a workaholic. i've been sober for a month.

I wonder if anyone still reads. I know I'm the kind of person that checks old friends' abandoned blogs every once in awhile, just to make sure. I'm not much of a writer anymore. Although, I've been thinking of starting a work of fiction. Fiction has traditionally not been my thing, but I think my priorities in life have shifted. I've quit reading food (read:work)-related non-fiction all the time and started to pick up stories.

I quit Legume. I lost my mind and walked right out just before dinner service. It's not really like me to go insane like that, and I tell myself that it maybe had something to do with working on little sleep after Alayna was in the hospital for a few days and I spent my time visiting, but it would've happened anyway. That restaurant, as all the restaurants I have worked in eventually have done, made me unhappy. I was overworked and exhausted all the time, and while I felt good about the work I was doing, I realize now that I honestly didn't give a shit. Or, I should say, I take pride in good work, but only when I have a life to enjoy aside from it. And I no longer want work to be the biggest part of my life. I'm 21, and this is not a time to waste sweating in front of a broiler sixty hours a week. There is never a time for that.

So, during a week of unemployment, I looked for jobs outside the culinary field, but it wasn't exactly a good time. Seasonal labor in things that I wanted to get my head into, like jobs at bike shops and road construction, and even landscaping, is over right now. It's about to start getting cold. I even put myself on the list to ride for Jet Messenger, but that season hasn't really started yet.

Like anyone that started out in the culinary industry, I desperately turned back to the stove and now I'm working for Big Burrito again at Eleven, a gigantic clusterfuck of a restaurant downtown that employs four sous-chefs. The schedule is three pages long and we did 220 covers on my first night. Two weeks in, they put me on the saute station, so here I am, riding 20 miles a day to commute to work, cooking my ass off until late at night. And while it might be a much more fast-paced restaurant with a menu eight times the size of my last gig's, it's about twenty hours less than what I'm used to. So now, I'm sleeping enough. And on top of that, I asked to only work four days a week. Usually that happens; last week it did, and this week I'm working five days. But eventually, since the company is happy to give out less overtime, it should be a regular thing for me. The idea is to actually enjoy life, not have burns all over my arms constantly, and not burn out. And, although I'm still in a period of some financial turmoil due to the unemployment, I should be fine on 35-40 hours a week with the wage I negotiated when I got hired. Things are looking up.

7 comments:

Misha said...

I'm one of those people that checks abandoned blogs too! Glad to see you are back. I've missed talking to you.

Anonymous said...

wondering where you had gone to...


glad to see that you're doing a little better.

Karen said...

Sorry to say that it probably is hereditary... and sorry that I passed that gene on! Well, you'll never starve... but from time to time, you'll find yourself miserable... you can recover. Glad to see you back at the keyboard...
Ready for that sewing machine?
- netMOM

Anonymous said...

Glad you're ok and taking care of yourself. We all missed your blog.-Mrs.D.

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't checked until now. I hope that address you gave me is still valid.

Head Honcho said...

you could publish this.

-Katie

Head Honcho said...

btw I don't know if you check your old blog from two years ago but I have a book of Chekhov stories waiting for you and if you ever did get around to writing fiction, I'm a decent editor