Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I have seized this day.

So, after a much-needed vacation, I'm back to the daily grind at the restaurant. I'm figuring out the wok, but slowly--maybe if PCI's Chef Bailey had taught us to stir-fry authentically and not in a large rondeau, my learning curve wouldn't be quite so skewed, but that's neither here nor there. Work is very, very gratifying.

Also with regards to my job, my six-month review was today. I won't go into heavy details, but let's say that I'm a very valued member of the team, I'm a cook's cook no matter my age or experience level, and I no longer live in terrible, indentured servitude-like poverty. Today made me align myself more consciously with what I have thus far stood behind: I have a responsibility to this kitchen and the food that comes out of it, and nothing can stop me.

But moving on, my time in Austin was very, very well-spent. I think I cooked every night, affirming either my committment to my craft or my total insanity. The company, as well as the food, was wonderful. It won't be so long before I'm back down South again, of that we can be sure of.

Austin, kept weird.
Every night's a party (venison burgers).
In Texas, we do our French cuisine outdoors.
Just a lovely bite: sauteèd Sockeye salmon and swordfish with Sauce Bercy, turnip rissolè, sauteèd asparagus with homegrown basil, heirloom tomato.

No comments: